From awe-inspiring cultural marvels to breathtaking natural wonders, the most visited countries in the World have embraced the hearts of intrepid travelers from every nook and cranny. Our journey traverses through diverse landscapes and rich heritage, offering an enchanting tapestry of experiences and cherished memories. After creating a page about the least traveled countries in the World, we could not just stay put without writing about the most visited tourist destinations.
Whether you seek iconic landmarks, gastronomic delights, or an immersion in diverse cultures, this curated collection will ignite your wanderlust, sparking an insatiable desire to explore. Brace yourself for an exhilarating journey through the top 10 most visited countries, where the world’s tourism rankings meet treasures that await to be unraveled.
10 Most Visited Countries – Ranking
- Spain – Europe
- France – Europe
- United States – North America
- Turkey – Asia/Europe (Transcontinental)
- Italy – Europe
- Mexico – North America
- United Kingdom – Europe
- Germany – Europe
- Greece – Europe
- Austria – Europe
The 10 Most Visited Countries in the World
Spain, officially established as a nation in 1492 following the Reconquista, is a country known for its rich history, diverse culture, and beautiful landscapes. The best time to visit Spain is during the spring (April to June) and fall (September and October) when the weather is pleasantly warm. Top attractions include the Alhambra in Granada, the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, and the Prado Museum in Madrid. Spain’s unique blend of history, art, and lifestyle makes it a favorite among tourists.
France, known as the “Hexagon” and founded in 843 AD, is renowned for its culture, gastronomy, and history. The best time to visit is during spring (April to June) or fall (September to November) when the weather is mild and tourist crowds are smaller. Iconic attractions include the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre Museum, and the Palace of Versailles. The promise of experiencing world-class art, cuisine, and a certain “joie de vivre” attract millions to France each year.
The United States, founded in 1776, is a vast and diverse nation offering a variety of experiences for travelers. The best time to visit depends on the region due to its size, but generally, spring (April to June) and fall (September to November) offer the most pleasant weather. Must-see landmarks include the Grand Canyon, the Statue of Liberty, and Yellowstone National Park. Its expansive landscapes, cultural diversity, and influential cities make the United States a popular destination.
Turkey, established as a nation in 1923, is a unique blend of Eastern and Western cultures. The best time to visit is during spring (April to May) and fall (September to mid-November) when temperatures are moderate. The country’s top attractions include the historic city of Istanbul, the unique landscapes of Cappadocia, and the ancient ruins of Ephesus. The country’s rich history, diverse landscapes, and incredible cuisine are among the reasons why tourists are drawn to Turkey.
Italy, unified as a nation in 1861, is a country steeply rooted in history, culture, and culinary traditions. The best time to visit is during spring (April to June) and fall (September and October) when the weather is comfortable and the crowds are fewer. Italy’s must-see attractions include the Colosseum in Rome, the canals of Venice, and the Duomo in Florence. Italy’s blend of antiquity, art, and “la dolce vita” (the sweet life) make it a top destination for many.
Mexico, which gained independence in 1821, is a country known for its vibrant culture, delicious food, and diverse landscapes. The best time to visit is during the dry season between December and April. Highlights include the ancient Mayan city of Chichen Itza, the beaches of Cancun, and the bustling capital city, Mexico City. The country’s rich heritage, beautiful beaches, and colorful festivities attract tourists to Mexico.
The United Kingdom, formed in 1707, offers a blend of historic landmarks, royal palaces, and diverse culture. The best time to visit is during the spring (April to June) when the weather is mild and the countryside is in bloom. Top attractions include the Tower of London, Edinburgh Castle, and Stonehenge. The combination of history, culture, and beautiful landscapes make the United Kingdom a fascinating destination for travelers.
Germany, unified in 1871, is a country known for its rich history, technological achievements, and hearty cuisine. The best time to visit is during late spring (May to June) and early autumn (September to October). Top sights include the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, the fairy-tale Neuschwanstein Castle, and the historic town of Heidelberg. Germany’s blend of old-world charm and modern innovation draws millions of tourists each year.
Greece, recognized as a country since 1821, is the cradle of Western civilization and offers a rich blend of history, culture, and stunning landscapes. The best time to visit is spring (April to early-June) and fall (September and October). Key attractions include the Acropolis in Athens, the beautiful islands of Santorini and Crete. The country’s ancient ruins, beautiful islands, and vibrant culture make Greece a top choice for many travelers.
Austria, established in 1955, is a country famous for its beautiful architecture, musical heritage, and mountainous terrain. The best time to visit is in the summer (June to August) and during the winter (December to March) for skiing. Top attractions include the historic city of Vienna, the beautiful town of Salzburg, and the stunning Hallstatt village. Austria’s combination of natural beauty and cultural experiences make it a popular destination for tourists.
International Tourist Arrivals Chart
|Rank||Destination||Number of Tourist in 2022||Number of Tourist in 2021|
|1||Spain||71.7 million||31.2 million|
|2||France||66.5 million||48.4 million|
|3||United States||50.9 million||22.1 million|
|4||Turkey||50.5 million||29.9 million|
|5||Italy||49.8 million||26.9 million|
|6||Mexico||38.3 million||31.9 million|
|7||United Kingdom||31.2 million||6.3 million|
|8||Germany||28.5 million||11.7 million|
|9||Greece||27.8 million||14.7 million|
|10||Austria||26.2 million||12.7 million|
This table provides a clear overview of the top 10 international tourism destinations in 2022, along with the corresponding number of international tourist arrivals for the years 2022 and 2021. The percentage change columns have been removed to simplify the presentation.
The Most Visited Country in the World
Amidst the enchantment, we unravel the ultimate gem of global tourism—the most visited country in the world. Drawing travelers like a magnetic force, this exceptional destination has taken the crown for welcoming the highest number of globetrotters. Brace yourself as we reveal the identity of this exceptional nation, which stands as an epitome of travel allure. This most visited country comes in contrast to the least visited country in the world.
What is the Most Visited Country in the World?
In 2022, Spain topped the chart as the most visited country in the world with an impressive 71.7 million international tourist arrivals. This is a remarkable increase from the 31.2 million tourists who visited in 2021. Known for its rich history, diverse culture, beautiful landscapes, and delectable cuisine, Spain offers an array of experiences that attract travelers from all corners of the globe.
Top 10 Attractions in Spain
Based on popular tourist choices, the top 10 tourist attractions in Spain are:
- The Alhambra: This stunning palace and fortress complex located in Granada is a shining example of Moorish architecture in Spain.
- The Sagrada Familia: An iconic basilica in Barcelona, designed by the famous architect Antoni Gaudí. It has been under construction since 1882.
- The Prado Museum: Located in Madrid, this museum is one of the world’s greatest art galleries, with a vast collection of European art.
- Park Güell: Another Gaudí masterpiece in Barcelona, this public park is filled with beautiful, whimsical structures.
- The Royal Palace of Madrid: The official residence of the Spanish royal family, used mainly for state ceremonies.
- The City of Arts and Sciences: A futuristic cultural complex in Valencia, featuring an opera house, a science museum, and an oceanarium.
- The Mezquita of Cordoba: Once a mosque, now a cathedral, this unique building reflects the diverse religious history of Spain.
- Seville Cathedral and the Giralda: The largest Gothic cathedral in the world, and its famous bell tower, the Giralda.
- The Running of the Bulls in Pamplona: A traditional festival that involves running in front of a group of bulls let loose on the town’s streets.
- La Tomatina in Buñol: A world-famous event where participants throw tomatoes at each other in a giant, fun-filled food fight.
Join us on this once-in-a-lifetime global adventure to uncover the world’s most beloved destinations. From the historical marvels of ancient civilizations to the dazzling allure of modern metropolises, these countries promise an unforgettable journey filled with memories to cherish for a lifetime. Embrace the magic of travel and let your wanderlust soar to new heights. You can now stop asking yourself what is the most visited country in the World.
What is the Second Most Visited Country in the World?
The suspense lifts, and the answer stands clear—the second most visited country in the world is none other than France. With an allure that transcends time, France captivates hearts with its romantic ambiance, artistic masterpieces, and iconic landmarks like the Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum. An epitome of sophistication, France casts a spell on travelers, leaving them spellbound and yearning for more. You can now stop asking yourself what is the second most visited country in the World.
Top 10 Attractions in France
Based on popular tourist choices, the top 10 tourist attractions in France are:
- Eiffel Tower: The Eiffel Tower is an iconic symbol of France. It provides a panoramic view of Paris, and visitors can dine in style at its high-end restaurant.
- Louvre Museum: The world’s largest art museum and a historic monument in Paris, the Louvre is renowned for housing numerous works of art, including the Mona Lisa.
- Palace of Versailles: This royal château in Versailles, a city in the Île-de-France region, is known for its opulent architecture, beautiful gardens, and the Hall of Mirrors.
- Mont Saint-Michel: This island commune in Normandy is best known for its stunning medieval architecture and its picturesque views over the bay.
- The French Riviera (Côte d’Azur): Known for its glamorous beach resorts like Saint-Tropez and Cannes, and the independent microstate of Monaco.
- The D-Day Landing Beaches, Normandy: These are the historic sites of the Allied invasion of Western Europe during World War II.
- Château de Chambord: Located in the Loir-et-Cher department, this is one of the most recognizable châteaux in the world due to its distinctive French Renaissance architecture.
- The Puy de Dôme: This large lava dome and one of the youngest volcanoes in the Massif Central in central France, it’s known for its beautiful, panoramic views.
- Gorges du Verdon: A deep river canyon that is considered by many to be one of Europe’s most beautiful. It is located in the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence and Var departments.
- Sainte-Chapelle: Known for its magnificent stained glass windows, it is a royal chapel in the Gothic style, located near the Palais de la Cité, on the Île de la Cité in the center of Paris.
Most Visited Countries in Europe
Here’s the table with the top 10 destinations based on international tourist arrivals in 2022 and 2021:
|Rank||Destination||International Tourist Arrivals (2022)||International Tourist Arrivals (2021)|
|1||Spain||71.7 million||48.4 million|
|2||France||66.5 million||31.2 million|
|3||Turkey||50.5 million||29.9 million|
|4||Italy||49.8 million||26.9 million|
|5||United Kingdom||31.2 million||6.3 million|
|6||Germany||28.5 million||11.7 million|
|7||Greece||27.8 million||14.7 million|
|8||Austria||26.2 million||12.7 million|
|9||Portugal||22.3 million||9.6 million|
|10||Netherlands||15.9 million||6.2 million|